Client: Transport for New South Wales
Location: Sydney CBD
Duration: 2016 – to date
Project Value: $955 million
Roles: Design and Construction Manager
The NSW Government has planned for a quantum leap in demand for Central’s role as a major rail interchange between the new Sydney Metro, new CBD and South East Light Rail, and existing suburban, intercity and interstate train services.
A key project in catering for this increased demand is Central Walk – a brand new underground concourse that will better connect passengers to trains, buses, light rail and the new Sydney Metro. Central Walk construction commenced in 2018.
It’s also the first step in the revitalisation of the station precinct, and includes:
- A 19-metre wide tunnel from Chalmers Street, linking to new metro platforms under Central
- New, easy access points to Sydney Trains platforms 16 to 23
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms for the first time.
Central Walk will be delivered at the same time as the new Sydney Metro platforms.
MCE was the client side Lead Design Manager responsible for managing a large joint venture of architects and engineers developing the complex feasibility, definition and concept designs. Duties included developing the technical tender documentations required to release the project to the market, assessing the technical, architectural, design and engineering assurance elements for tenders responses, and providing guidance to senior management in choosing successful contractors.
MCE’s assurance role meant included ensuring all stakeholder requirements are identified and where appropriate included in the development of the projects. MCE was also responsible for identifying possible economic synergies with parallel precinct projects ensuring the Central Station Project safeguards for future development.
Key Successes and Outcomes
- Engineering leadership, direction and delivery strategy
- Development of business case and concept design, management of the EIS.
- Contract preparation and award of principal contractor
- Management of the delivery of detailed design and coordination of early works packages