Client: Level Crossing Removal Authority (LXRA)
Location: Melbourne Metropolitan area
Duration: 2018 – current
Project Value: $6.6Bn
Roles: Provision of Specialist Advisory Services
On behalf of the Victorian Government, the Level Crossing Removal Authority (LXRA) is overseeing the removal of 75 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne by 2025.
Already, 29 level crossings have been removed in three years.
These new sites have been prioritised and selected using four key principles:
- Safety: prioritise sites with a record of incidents or a high risk of incidents
- Movement: prioritise sites where excessive delays caused by high train frequencies and high traffic volumes cause delay and unreliable journeys
- Place: prioritise sites where the level crossing divides communities and impedes access to important facilities
- Delivery: prioritise sites where there is an opportunity to increase investment efficiency and minimise disruption by delivering jointly with other projects.
Provision of Specialist Advisory Services
MCE has been invited to provide specialist advisory services for construction staging and interface management for the Level Crossing Removal Project.
Key Successes and Outcomes
- Reduced safety risk due to the removal of level crossings and rail – road interface
- Reduced travel times for pedestrian and motor vehicles
- Increased benefits in financial investment by delivering jointly with other projects